Here's the start of a discussion of why folks should join our Stories For Change community online.
Here's some basic reasons to get involved:
- Network with other facilitators online: At the Gathering in 2006, the feedback at the end of the event was that the physical communing of community digital storytelling facilitators was useful, but it'd be even better to have an ongoing network with continued interactions using new technology tools, like social networking online. SFC gives you a chance to meet others who are doing similar work in communities without having to wait for a yearly conference, and post questions to the group in the Forums.
- Distribute your stories online in a trusted place: We've put particular attention into the "meta data" or accompaning information that goes around submitting a digital story file, so that the stories on SFC can have not only context, but be Creative Commons licensed so you can control how the story is used.
- Tap into a new library of stories: Most facilitators show at least one or two digital stories at the beginning of every digital storytelling workshop, but sometimes you might not have a particularly good example for the group you're working with. SFC is hoping to become a great library of user contributed stories to help spread great examples from all different categories, languages, contexts, etc.
- Add your resources to share your experience: Folks at the Gathering in '06 also expressed that they felt isolated and sometimes feeling that they might be re-inventing the wheel as they develop curriculum and hand-outs for workshops. We've added the Share Your Resource option so that folks can share their stories/experience around the creation of stories in a community setting.
- Post your EVENTS to reach a wider audience:
- Form interest groups based on....: The next phase of this community will not only be sharing stories and resources, but focusing networking and resource development in the areas where members are most focused.
Add your reasons for joining our community here!