“I Don’t Want to Break it!”
Although we’ve been living in the digital age and engaging with new technologies for some time, the pandemic raised the stakes. If you were unable to access the internet at home, it became nearly impossible to work, communicate, or complete routine tasks like scheduling appointments.
- How prepared were you for the quick transition to digital life?
- Did you need technical assistance?
- How did you go about getting the assistance you needed, or did you?
Mireya voices empathy for the second language speakers she works with, stating how she understood how they were “afraid to break it!” Second language speakers often feel especially reluctant to ask for help, for many of the same reasons as Mireya. “I should know how to do this . . . .” They are often learning two new languages at once—English and digital technologies. Think about the level of frustration experienced by second language learners.
- How do you think it compares to your own experience?
- What do you think were additional difficulties stemming from their lack of experience with technology?
- What do you think marks an important transition in Mireya’s story?
- How would you characterize her response to the situation after this transition?